Friday, November 23, 2012

Thankful



Happy Thanksgiving from "The Richest Man in Town"

I know I am a day late posting this, but I am no less thankful today than I was yesterday for the wonderful life I've been given. Sometimes I can forget these things, getting caught up in the material and perceptual world views that take over ones senses. As a huge movie fan, I often find myself referencing lines from  movies. One that I always found most fitting for myself is from a film whose main character realizes just how wonderful his own life is; George Bailey from (you guessed it!), "It's a Wonderful Life". When George's brother raises his glass at the end to toast his brother as "the richest man in town", it is clear that his blessings are not due to fame, power or monetary gain. Unlike George, I've never had a Clarence stumble into my life to point out my blessings, but I know my Guardian Angel has done his best to redirect my focus to what my greatest treasures truly are. My family.

A man couldn't be more blessed with a family like the one have been given.

Would you like to meet them?

One of my favorite pics:
The Lewis kids, Christmas 2009 (w/Bella)

My wife Tara is a ball of fire, my love and my best friend. She is the straw that stirs the drink in our home. The best motivator, organizer and a true woman of faith. She is a fearless advocate for our children, who has put aside a very successful career as a pediatric ER nurse to be a stay at home mom. This to me, in this day and age, is the embodiment of  selflessness.

Our oldest John, is a brilliant, articulate and sensitive college sophomore. He was (and still is) the type of young man that adults take a liking to, with his easy going demeanor and affable nature. He is also great with young kids, a better big brother could not be asked for.

Molly is our oldest daughter, a high school senior. Like her momma, another ball of fire. She makes the most of her many talents and offers them readily to help others. Her self motivation and drive is truly something to behold.

Next is Breda our high school junior. She is our math/science/computer whiz. Any project I might be working on that needs a little abstract thought, Breda is my go-to gal. She is also an entertaining resource for the younger guys, as a walking-talking encyclopedia on nature and science!

Then comes Tommy, our 6th grade middle schooler. Bright and witty and the inspiration for us all. His autism will not be the defining factor of his person. He is compassionate and caring with a love of nature unparalleled. His autism has been a challenge to us all to raise the bar within ourselves. He is our barometer for our own levels of compassion, tolerance and patience. His presence in our family has made us all better human beings.

After Tommy is Brendan who is in the 4th grade. Brendan has the most tremendous desire for justice for a boy his age I've ever seen! A hard and conscientious worker, he takes pride in earning what is his, whether it is grades, allowance or rewards.

Patrick is our 3rd grade, happy-go-lucky guy. A great personality with a slight mischievous streak, Pat likes to march to the beat of his own drum. How so? Well this is a boy who has called Johnny Cash his favorite singer since he was 4 years old! Need I say more?

Finally there is our baby Annie, 2nd grade. She has a heart of gold with an independent spirit. I think she forgets that she is just 7 years old, but that is okay. Most of the time she can pull off whatever she takes on, charming the world as she goes on her way!

So there you have it, my family. My strength, my inspiration and ALL my wealth.
Who can be richer?

For this I am eternally thankful...

Please donate to Ocean Cure @: http://www.crowdrise.com/tomlewis

No comments:

Post a Comment